“Magnificent… a feast of imaginative music”
5***** The Telegraph
“With his trio, Peter Knight breaks new ground and is second to absolutely nobody…ground-breaking, engaging, frequently astonishing, Gigspanner deliver a quite simply superb set” Maverick Magazine
“Peter Knight can spin the world on his Bow”
Sir Terry Pratchett
Legendary Violinist, Peter Knight (Steeleye Span) Presents:
Kettering Arts Centre
Thursday November 5th 2015
Doors at 7.00pm/Start 7.30pm
What the audience says…
- “Absolutely off the scale in terms of musicianship and just magical music” Paul Bamford
- “Stunning performance yesterday – magic and virtuosity sans pareil” Dave Gartland.
- “Such virtuosity and skill, three men attuned like one instrument creating a blend like no other. Magical”! John Wokersien
- “Thank you for yet another wonderful evening last night, everyone in our group were so inspired by Gigspanner. Can’t wait for the next concert” Peter Hammond
- “Thanks for an amazing gig in Spilsby. The best live performance I have ever seen. Keep up the great work guys and hope to see you again soon” Alison Holloway
- “A Brilliant, thought provoking evening at the Sheppey Little Theatre. Still smiling this morning at the amazing things you managed to achieve with your music” Kathy Skipp
- “I saw Peter play at The Apex in Bury Edmunds .”From a Lullaby Kiss” seduced the audience into complete silence and reduced me to tears in public” Petra Garrard
- “Peter – stunning rendition of ‘From a Lullaby Kiss’ at Nettlebed last evening. Easily the highpoint of a great evening. Instantly one of my all-time favourite songs” J. Coulter
About Peter Knights’ Gigspanner…
Since his departure from folk-rock pioneers Steeleye Span at the end of 2013, legendary fiddle player Peter Knight has turned his full attention to his trio Gigspanner, and in the process has firmly established their burgeoning reputation as one of the most innovative acts on the folk/roots scene. A glance at the band’s Guestbook page offers an insight into the emotional impact their performances exert…”spellbinding” “sublime” “blown away” “inspired” and “magical” are familiar themes.
Hailed by Songlines as “another milestone in folk’s rebirth of cool” there is however far more to Gigspanner than meets the eye, and to categorise these virtuoso performers purely as folk musicians would be to significantly undersell them, and to deny audiences the full scope of their musical embrace.
As expected, British traditional music and song form the bedrock of the trio’s repertoire, but the approach is what sets it apart… “the trio de-construct and transform the music into an original blend of the exotic and often eclectic, skirting into classical fields” (Louder than War). French, Cajun, Eastern European and even Cuban influences are also subliminally fed into the mix, taking audiences on a “blistering pace of a musical world tour” Folkcast.
Ultimately the music Gigspanner creates confounds attempts to label it, but it is that intriguing, indefinable ingredient that inspires audiences of all leanings, bringing them back for more. As a trio they have successfully amalgamated the diverse sum of their parts, and have honed and polished a brand that is uniquely theirs.
Tickets for this event are available from Waterstones, High Street, Kettering, by post from Becky at St Andrew’s Church (cheques made payable to “PCC of St Andrew’s Kettering”) to St Andrew’s Vicarage, Lindsay Street, Kettering NN16 8RG. You may also buy or reserve tickets from Jaime Ferreira by email at email@example.com or online at We Got Tickets (subject to a booking fee).
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter